In the final week or so of my term, I thought I would share some of AALNC's accomplishments during 2013-14 related to each of our three primary strategic objectives. I think it is an impressive list, thanks to the hard work of our Board, many volunteer leaders/members and our management company! I look forward to seeing those of you who are attending our Annual Networking & Educational Forum in Denver next week. Please stop me and say hi!
List of 2013-2014 Accomplishments
Strategic Goal #1: AALNC will position itself as the leader in the specialty practice of legal nurse consulting by setting education standards and metrics, by being the voice of the legal nurse consulting community, by conducting research related to LNC practice and by improving visibility to the clinical nursing community.
Two-part series published in JLNC re LNC liability (Dickinson & Zorn)
- Revised definition of legal nurse consulting to align it to our practice
- Work on revised Standards of Practice and Core Competencies is ongoing to align with our practice
- Updated AALNC Bylaws to reflect new membership categories: RN and non-RN
- BOD continued free quarterly informational webinars on legal nurse consultingSubmitted required documentation to maintain ANCC accreditation as a provider of CNE
- Initiated formal evaluation of the Education Provider Unit (all our educational committees)
- Research Committee working on a project to evaluate impact of AALNC’s educational offerings on LNC practice
Strategic Goal #2: AALNC will create awareness of legal nurse consulting within the legal community by aligning key communications, programs and features with the needs of LNC employers and by developing partnerships that are strategic and a major leverage of AALNC assets.
- Sharon McQuown is serving a second term as Vice Chair of the ABA’s Nursing Alliance and Allied Healthcare Professional Committee
- Developed Memorandum of Understanding with the Health Law Section of the ABA
- Julie Dickinson is serving on DRI’s Nursing Home/Assisted Living Facility Litigation Seminar Steering Committee, as well as their Medical Liability & Health Care Law Seminar Steering Committee
- Exhibited at NTI conference in Boston ~ attended by 8000 critical care nurses
- Exhibited at ENA conference in Nashville
- Attended NSO Advisory Board conference in Florida
- AALNC placed banner ads re the LNC Locator on AAJ’s Trial Magazine, DRI’s e-newsletter and ABA’s Health Law Leadership Directory
- Conducted joint webinar with AANLCP
Strategic Goal #3: AALNC will maintain a sound business model by using revenue generated from membership, educational programing, and other budget programs to develop and offer high-quality, innovative, competitively-priced educational products as well as other value-driven benefits and resources for legal nurse consultants.
- 2013 Forum nearly sold out!
- Two new segments added to the monthly Member Update: “Your Questions, Answered” and “LNC Spotlight”
- Lengthy “new member” welcome email with links to AALNC website pages
- “Legal Corner” added to our website
- JLNC enhancements – digital format; plan to increase number of yearly issues to four by 2016
- 3 year plan to revamp AALNC Online LNC Course – first 7 modules to be rolled out in 2nd Q 2014!
- LNCC Review Course revamped and all webinars put online for 24/7 access
- Extended window to access live webinar recording for CNE credit to 3 weeks
- Offered monthly webinar series based upon needs assessment with selected webinars put online for 24/7 access (Webinar Committee)
- Completed templates for case study authors and reviewers (Products/Services Committee)
- Negotiated reduced rate member access to MD Consult and Clinical Keys
- Carefully monitored revenue and expenses, ending up with a modest budget surplus!
- Significant investment in revamping the LNC Online Course, while still maintaining an amount in reserves equal to no less than 50% of our operating budget.
Chapter support included:
- Held 3 national DAL calls for chapter leaders
- Invested in chapter membership online tool, giving Chapter leaders access to new AALNC members in their geographical area
- Held webinars for Chapters on use of technology and chapter webinars
- Created user-friendly form for chapters to submit their chapter events for posting on AALNC’s Community Calendar
- Updated Chapter Leader Resource page on AALNC website