Kathy Ferrell, BS RN LNCC
Susan LaFollette, BSN RN CDMS LNCC CLCP CCM MSCC
Kari Williamson, BSN RN LNCC CCM
Target Audience: RNs interested in learning more about legal nurse consulting.
Description/Purpose: The purpose of this activity is to increase the participant’s knowledge and role of the LNC in three employment settings: risk management in a healthcare facility, Workers’ Compensation and defense insurance company.
- Define terms related to Workers’ Compensation
- Understand the disability classifications in Workers’ Compensation
- Explain the compensation provided whether injured worker covered under Federal or State workers’ compensation
- Compare the Federal workers’ compensation and State workers’ compensation systems
- Discuss the evaluations used in Workers’ Compensation cases
- Examine the role of the LNC in Workers’ Compensation
- Explain the different types of defense clients, claims and coverage
- Define basic terms used in insurance defense
- Discuss the types of claims seen insurance defense
- Describe biomechanics of injury/mechanism of injury in evaluating falls and motor vehicle accident cases
- Explain damages pertaining to insurance defense
- Examine the role of the defense LNC in insurance work
- Describe the educational requirements for a LNC risk manger
- Compare the difference between federal mandates, state regulations and hospital standards
- Summarize the process involved in risk identification
- Discuss the impact of litigation on a healthcare organization
Continuing Education: The American Association of Legal Nurse Consultants Education Committee is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation.
Contact Hours: 3
Expiration Date: April 10, 2020
- Complete individual module
- Obtain a score of at least 80% on the module post-test
- Complete the online course evaluation and attestation of completion
Conflict of Interest: The planners and faculty for this activity report no conflicts of interest.