Click on the following quick links for FAQ's regarding specific topics:
Membership in AALNC
Practicing as an LNC
Q. I would like to become a legal nurse consultant (LNC). What course or program should I attend?
A. While formal training in legal nurse consulting is not required to practice, some nurses benefit from a structured introduction to the specialty. AALNC believes that the individual nurse is best able to determine the program that meets his/her needs and goals.
*AALNC is pleased to offer the Legal Nurse Consulting Online Course. This course provides an interactive learning experience for individuals interested in the unique field of legal nurse consulting. Students may purchase the modules in a package or individually. AALNC offers several package choices, all designed to give you the most complete LNC education. Click here for more information and to register!
Q. What are the Advantages of Education Through AALNC?
A. AALNC's Mission: AALNC is dedicated to providing quality education for all professionals with an interest in legal nurse consulting, including novice and veteran legal nurse consultants.
AALNC's Content Experts: The modules in the Legal Nurse Consulting Online Course are the result of a collaborative effort of volunteer content experts and professional editors. Each module has been developed by an experienced legal nurse consultant with expertise in the specific area. The Legal Nurse Consulting Online Course offers the combined knowledge of LNC's at the forefront of the profession.
AALNC's Curriculum: This course was developed around Legal Nurse Consulting: Principles and Practice, 3rd ed. - the recommended curriculum for legal nurse consulting education.
Q. What are the Advantages of Online Learning?
A. While online learning can never replace offerings at the AALNC Educational Conference, it does have numerous benefits including:
- Convenience- Participants can listen to presentations on their own schedule, any time of day.
- Increased information retention- Since each of us learn at our own time and pace, the amount of information retained from the presentation is often greater.
- Lower overall cost - Since there is no instructor or travel involved, the cost of online learning is substantially less than learning similar materials in a traditional setting.
While AALNC does not endorse any specific external programs, the following criteria should be considered in assessing credible, useful legal nurse consulting education:
- Institution. Legal nurse consulting education is offered by universities, colleges, community colleges, for-profit businesses, and not-for-profit organizations. In assessing the value of these programs, the reputation and accreditation of the sponsoring institution should be considered.
- Program. Legal nurse consulting education programs may be found in various colleges or departments including the School of Nursing, the College of Health Sciences, the Office of Continuing Education, and the Paralegal Institute, among others. The primary focus of legal nurse consulting education should be to build on nursing education and clinical experience and to prepare nurses to perform in the legal arena. In evaluating a particular program, its mission and purpose should be compared to this standard.
- Program directors and instructors. AALNC's position is that legal nurse consulting education should be developed and presented as specialty nursing curricula by nurse educators in partnership with legal educators. The qualifications of the program directors and instructors should be considered and, in general, programs developed and taught by experienced nurses and practicing LNCs are to be preferred.
- Curriculum. AALNC recommends Legal Nurse Consulting: Principles and Practice, 3rd Edition, as the core curriculum of legal nurse consulting education. Courses of study based on this curriculum vary in length from one day to two years. Nurses are encouraged to choose a course of study that meets personal needs and professional goals.
Q. Where can I find resources for legal nurse consultants?
A. AALNC offers a variety of educational resources for the novice and experienced legal nurse consultant such as:
- Getting Started in Legal Nurse Consulting (booklet)
- Professional Legal Nurse Consulting Course (audiotapes and manual)
- Legal Nurse Consulting: Principles and Practice (a core curriculum)
- Business Principles for Legal Nurse Consultants (starting your own LNC practice)
- The quarterly Journal of Legal Nurse Consulting
- Annual educational conferences
- Local chapters
- For a complete list of resources, check out the bookstore.
Q. Can you recommend a legal nurse consulting course in my area?
A. AALNC does not endorse the products or services of other organizations. We suggest that you join your local AALNC chapter and network with the legal nurse consultants currently practicing in your area. Their experience of getting started in the profession will help you make informed choices about the options available.
Membership in AALNC
Q. What's the difference between an active, associate, and sustaining membership?
A. Active membership is open to any Registered Nurse with an active license, who is currently working as a legal nurse consultant. Active members can vote, serve on committees, or hold office at both the national and chapter level.
Associate membership is open to any Registered Nurse with an active license, who has not yet performed work as a legal nurse consultant. Associate members are not eligible to vote, serve on committees, or hold office at the national or the chapter level.
Sustaining membership is open to all individuals or groups (such as LPNs, attorneys, law firms, or universities) who have an interest in supporting the goals and receiving the services of AALNC. Sustaining members are not eligible to vote, serve on committees, or hold office at the national or the chapter level.
All members receive access to the online membership directory, a listing in the LNC Locator, the quarterly Journal of Legal Nurse Consulting, member discounts on products, conferences, and certification.
To join AALNC, simply complete the membership application!
Q. How do I join a chapter of AALNC?
A. Click on the chapter page of this site to find the chapter nearest you. Contact them to request a chapter membership application. You must be a member of the national organization to be eligible for chapter membership. Many chapters ask you to verify this by including your membership number or a copy of your membership card with your chapter membership application.
Q. Once I join AALNC, how long will it take to receive confirmation?
A. You should expect to receive confirmation of your membership via email within one week of joining.
Q. Do I need to be certified to practice as a legal nurse consultant?
A. No, you do not need to be certified in order to practice as a legal nurse consultant. Professional certification represents an individual's experience and demonstrated knowledge in a profession or specialty.
Q. Does AALNC offer a certification program?
A. Yes, the LNCC (Legal Nurse Consultant Certified) certification is available through the American Legal Nurse Consultant Certification Board (ALNCCB). Click on certification for additional information and frequently asked questions about the ALNCCB certification program.
Practicing as an LNC
Q. How much do legal nurse consultants get paid?
A. Legal nurse consultants who work as independent consultants are typically paid on an hourly basis. LNCs who work in law firms, insurance companies, and other institutions are typically paid a salary. Compensation, as in any profession, varies with scope of responsibility , level of experience, and geographic area, among other factors.
In 2004, AALNC conducted a compensation and practice survey. This data is available in the Members Only section of the website.
PurchasesQ: Can my company use a purchase order to make purchases from AALNC?
A. Please click here for our purchase order policy.
Q: Why do I need to register as a guest to access the online store?
A: AALNC requires that you register as a guest to access the online store so that when you make purchases in the store we have all of the required information for your purchase. Registering as a guest not only ensures that we have all of your information, but also allows us to provide you with excellent customer service.